- Reports to the IH Program Manager
- Provide technical and programmatic field implementation of the industrial hygiene and safety program plans, policies and procedures.
- Perform assigned industrial hygiene and safety work scope demonstrating technical competence and good judgment.
Under general supervision, performs tasks within the industrial hygiene and safety field support job functions as assigned by management. The specific work assignment may include duties or activities that assist and support management in one or more of the following functional areas, in addition to other duties as assigned:
- Perform routine industrial hygiene tasks, including sampling and monitoring, in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Follow Industrial Hygiene sampling plans and direction from project Industrial Hygienists (IH) to conduct routine sampling and monitoring of chemical and physical hazards in the workplace, including, but not limited to beryllium, total dust, heavy metals, VOCs, asbestos, noise and heat stress.
- Ability to develop an understanding of applicable NIOSH, OSHA and EPA sampling techniques.
- Prepare and ship samples with appropriate Chain-of-custody (COC) to the required laboratories for analysis. COC require using basic arithmetic to determine sample volumes and flow rates.
- Provide detailed notes on sampling and monitoring campaigns to the project IHs to support development of exposure assessments.
- Provide support for the field implementation of safety and IH management requirements and maintain a strong field presence in project activities.
- Communicate IH and Safety requirements to the field under the direction of project IH/Safety.
- Maintain and issue respiratory protection equipment, including notification when inventory is low for reordering purposes.
- Conduct and document occupational safety surveys and inspections.
- Maintain chemical inventory and perform inventory on a quarterly basis.
- Other job related duties as assigned
- Maintains knowledge of and demonstrates ability to perform work safely in accordance with all approved safety policies, procedures and applicable regulations and performs assigned duties in a safe manner
- Actively participates in Safety Work Groups
- Ensure industrial hygiene sampling and monitoring meets specifications and performance requirements.
- Ensure necessary documentation is generated to meet safety and industrial hygiene compliance requirements in order to enable operations to execute project scope.
- Maintain required qualifications for assigned role.
- Contributes to a strong safety culture including, but not limited to, good industrial hygiene practices, conduct of operations, and implementation of ISMS.
- Other authorities as delegated by Project Industrial Hygienist or Department manager.
This job operates in a both a professional office environment and in a field setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Field conditions require the use of PPE and adherence to posted requirements.
This position requires the ability to work extensively in outdoor environments. Use of PPE (including respiratory protection) required. Also able to utilize a keyboard and similar equipment typically found in an office environment. In addition, this position requires the following:
- Lift up to 30 pounds without assistance using appropriate safety and lifting methods.
- Ability to work in harsh outdoor environments, including snow, rain, ice, and muddy conditions